Saturday, July 4, 2009

If it has to be explained...







I'm currently working on the second draft script of Liberty Films next production: The Dog Killer, starring Andrew Morrical and myself as two detectives trying to solve a string of merciless dog killings. I've also been working on the script for the first episode of a little show I want to produce with my 3 roommates next year. All of this writing has gotten me thinking about the old saying, "If it has to be explained, it's not a good joke." I couldn't disagree more with that statement. I love jokes that go over my head. They challenge me to think from different angles and expand my sense of humor. This is probably why I'm just a huge fan of the show Arrested Development. A lot of the jokes have the potential to go over your head. And I admit, most of them did when I first started watching the show. But then my sense of humor expanded, I started think about the more subtle things and wordplay-type jokes. Several of the jokes still had to be explained to me but that made the show that much better. So AD has had a huge influence in my joke telling. This causes me to write a lot of stuff that some people don't get. I recently saw an interview with Rob McElenney, the creator/writer/executive producer/star of FX's Seinfeld on crack, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." In the interview he was asked about his writing style. He said that basically he wrote to make himself and his friends laugh. Which is exactly what I like to do. Rob said you can't please everyone so you might as well just write what you want. So I've tried to keep this in mind when working on scripts lately. It's a challenge for sure but I absolutely love it.

I've also been working on some posters for The Dog Killer. I posted most of them on facebook but some of them crossed the line I think. I would like to take this time to post all of them and also to remind you that no dogs will be hurt in the production of this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment