Thursday, June 18, 2009

Maturity?

Its been two years since I graduated from high school. Which means its been two years since someone has called me immature. This concept of maturity has always confused me a little bit. So I did some research. Dictionary.com defines maturity as follows: full development; perfected condition.

Recently, I was told that I acted more mature ever since I started college and to be honest, I was kind of offended. To me, "maturity" isn't about the jokes you laugh at or what you spend your time doing. It is about how you treat people and how you handle certain situations. I try my best not to judge people and just accept them for who they are. Am I less mature than Guy A because I look at video game magazines while he's looking at car magazines? No. I just have different interests. What about if I wear headbands and toe shoes while Guy A is wearing American Eagle or Hollister? No. He is just more comfortable in those clothes. And I'm mature enough to accept that.

Random story: Today is Father's Day, so my family woke up early so we could all go out and eat a nice breakfast before church. Of course we let dad choose where we would go. His choice: Meijer. We bought half a dozen donuts and some milk then we just popped a squat in a sitting area near the entrance of the store. Classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment